Well, I never got around to posting the results of the boys' sleep studies. Jonathan's was relatively fine, Elijah's not so much. He has mild-moderate sleep apnea. So, tomorrow morning he is getting his tonsils and adenoids removed to help make sure he is getting enough oxygen at night. In addition, he will most likely have ear tubes placed (3rd set). The ENT wants to examine his ears more closely while he's sedated. And finally, he is having a frenectomy. Don't know what that is? :-) I didn't either until a few days ago. The labial frenum is the little tag of tissue in the center of the upper (and lower) lip that attaches the lip to the gum. So, a frenectomy is the clipping of the labial frenum. His top one will be done. His awesome speech/feeding therapist recommended it to help him with speech. I had forgotten about until I was thumbing through my new book from Talk Tools about feeding.
The ENT wants to keep him overnight for observation due to his Down syndrome. I believe it is usually an out-patient procedure.
We would really appreciate your prayers for a smooth and uncomplicated surgery and quick healing for Elijah. I'm praying he will be able and willing to take fluids will over the next week.
This will be our first overnight at a hospital besides childbirth. I know this isn't heart surgery like the Warrior Princess Lyla just had, but its still something new for us. Lyla helps me keep things in perspective. :-) Hopefully Elijah will recover as quickly as she did!!! She's a walking miracle!
On a side note, I sat next to Grace last night and listened to her breathing...I believe a sleep study is definitely in her future too. :-( Oh boy...the thought of that makes me shudder. Yes, I know I thought Jonathan's would be awful getting all those things stuck to his head, but wow...Grace can be a lot feistier than him, and she is very strong too. Maybe she'll surprise me like he did.
Speaking of Jonathan's sleep study, I never posted these pictures of him the next morning as they were taking all of the wires off him as proof of the miracle of him not fussing at all. Sorry, they are so incredibly blurry. The iPad camera and I don't get along, plus he wouldn't stop moving!
2 comments:
We will be praying, for a mom anytime your baby has a surgery it causes concern. Is there a children's hospital by you or are you coming to Milwaukee?
Praying for surgery and recovery to be a breeze! Alayna was eating goldfish about 3 days later! LOL
Post a Comment