Friday, October 12, 2012

Sensory Seekin'

Over the past year or so, we've learned a lot about sensory issues with both of the boys. I plan to post more on that later this month, but I thought I would share with you Elijah's 2nd favorite way he seeks sensory input....Dumping out the tub of Legos and "swimming" through it!




His favorite way is not picture worthy. It involves pulling the nearest child down (tackling them) and rolling over them. :-/  He's even started doing it to Jonathan now, which is NOT cool. But he is quickly corrected and usually can be redirected.

This type of sensory seeking seems to go in cycles. This cycle started late last week (noticed by the "slithering" on the church floor), but it had been a few months since he was craving input this badly. I do hope it is over soon, but more importantly, I hope I can learn more ways to help him. We do several things to give him more input, but I would love to hear more ideas.  If you have a child that needs extra "input", what do you do to help him/her?  I'd love to hear more ideas!! Please do tell!


3 comments:

Eleven and Heaven said...

Jill that is totally my Owen so what we did was fill a Little Tykes toy box with balls (like a ball pit) and he climbs in it and turns and turns.

We also put a swing indoors (my husband came up with a genius way using a chin up bar) so he can swing high at any time of day in any weather.

Jill said...

Thanks Shelly! That's a great idea! I've seen the packs of 100 balls in the store, but didn't know what to put them in and still have them (somewhat) contained. We'll have to check it out!

Very clever about the swing too. I thought about getting one for the basement, but it's not practical to be bringing him down there all of the time. Now that Jonathan enjoys swings (that's something new), I know it would help his seekin' too.

Ashley Gibson said...

I've thought about a swing, too - but because our house is so small (actually, I prefer 'cozy' :)) we really don't have a place for it.

Same with the ball pit. I could just fill the tub, I suppose :)

This sensory stuff is all so new to us - but wow - there is SO much info out there! The hardest part is finding what works for Carter. We find that keeping lights wayyyy low, and quiet classical music on really helps to keep him from getting 'revved up'. Once he's revved, we use the exercise ball (well, we did - until Moses popped it on Saturday...) and do back rubs. It's rough being Carter... :)