Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9-11...





10 years ago, life was very different for me. I only had ONE child. :-) We had only been in our new house a couple of months, and I was actively growing my Creative Memories business as a consultant. I was CM consultant for almost 10 years from 3/98 to 12/07 when I "retired" to spend more time with my family and simplify my life. (I only had 4 kids then. This was the start of God pruning activities out of my life in preparation for this past year.) Anyway, at my CM workshop just a few weeks after the 9-11 attacks I handed out a ruled page free to everyone in attendance, strongly encouraging them to journal their thoughts and experiences that day. I'm not sure too many people did, but today after church when we watched the above video, I came home and opened up my album to read the page I had journaled and explain the events of the day to the kids. This day is to my generation what the JFK shooting or landing on the moon was to my parents' generation. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when it happened. If by some rare chance, there are any of my old customers reading this and you pulled out your albums to read your thoughts today, I'd love to hear from you! Please email me. If anyone else has a journal entry from that day, I'd love to hear from you too.  (And by the way, before anyone puts me on a pedestal for doing albums and a full page of journaling, please know I am fully 4 YEARS behind on my albums now...sigh....)

I've transcribed my journal page below. Don't feel obligated to read this, but am merely posting for my own benefit and that of my children. It wouldn't receive a good grade in an English class, but I was merely writing from my heart and for my kids.

September 12, 2001


It is now been about 36 hours since I first heard the news about the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center. Joanne called me about some CM things and told me to turn on the news. I said it would be kind of like when JFK was shot. Everyone remembers where they were. Little did I know how true my comment would be. I came down and turned on the TV and saw the replay of the second plane crashing into the 2nd tower. It was at that time that I realized (I think) that this was on purpose --- terrorism! Shortly thereafter, I learned that a plane had also slammed into the Pentagon. As I was watching, I saw "live" both of the WTC towers collapse on themselves. They did stand for almost an hour, allowing (hopefully) 1000's of people to escape.


As I was watching the whole thing on TV, it did not seem real. It seemed like I was watching a movie with great special effects. Even as I write this, it doesn't seem like it really happened. It begins to "sink in" when they talk about all the children that don't know where their mommies and daddies are. 50,000 people worked in the WTC complex...Fatality estimates are into the 1000's...."more than we can bear" as the mayor of NYC said. The shock and disbelief have moved into a very deep sadness and grief and somewhat into anger against those who were responsible for it. I'm sure more of that will come. One thing this has definitely done is put things into perspective for me. All of my struggles and "problems" are like a speck of dust compared to this horrific tragedy. I can't even begin to imagine what the families of victims are going through right now. How terrible it must be for them. I have been praying for those families since the beginning. Also for the rescue workers and the military leaders and the President that God would give him clarity of mind and peace and strength, etc. Many, many, churches across the country were holding prayer services. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to go to one yet, but would like to.


September 11, 2001 will be a day forever remembered in America. Many have called this an "act of war" -- "the second Pearl Harbor" -- a day that will live in infamy forever. This day will change this country forever. We will never be the same as individuals and as a country. Another interesting thing is how united the country is. Almost everyone agrees that military force should be launched against the people/country responsible.  Congress, both Democrats and Republicans, are united and standing behind the President, which is unusual, but good. What "path" of war this country takes from here remains to be seen....


This is one of the many emails I received shortly afterwards. I printed this to put in my album as well.


Dear Family and Friends,


I had a very dear friend question my faith in God right after the terrorist attack on America. Her question was simply put, "Where is your God today?"


She was very hurt, as all Americans were, so I tried not to react defensively. Since that moment I have prayed and grieved over the disastrous events. However, I believe I have the answer. I know where my God was the morning of September 11, 2001! He was very busy.


First of all, he was trying to discourage anyone from taking this flight.


Those four flights together held over 1000 passengers and there were only 266 aboard.


He was on 4 commercial flights giving terrified passengers the ability to stay calm. Not one of the family members who was called by a loved one on one of the high-jacked planes said that passengers were screaming in the background. On one of the flights he was giving strength to passengers to try to overtake the high-jackers.


He was busy trying to create obstacles for employees at the World Trade Center. After all only around 20,000 were at the towers when the first jet hit. Since the buildings hold over 50,000 workers, this was a miracle in itself. How many of the people who were employed at the WTC told the media that they were late for work or they had traffic delays.


He was holding up 2-110 story buildings so that 2/3 of the workers could get out. I was so amazed that the top of the towers didn't topple when the jets impacted.


Although this is without a doubt the worst thing I have seen in my life, I can see God's miracles in every bit of it.


I can't imagine going through such a difficult time and not believing in God. Life would be hopeless.

And I say AMEN!

No comments: