Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year! 1.1.11

Happy New Year everyone!  What a year it has been, and what a year it will be! I can't wait to see what the Lord has planned for our family this next year, but I do know one thing...when we are walking with the Lord, following His leadings and trusting Him, it will not be a dull one. We are excited to see what He will do this year!

I would humbly ask that you continue to pray for us and for Elijah's transition and adjustment home. The "experts" (adoptive moms) would say that I just did the EASY part. Although it is much more dramatic and interesting to follow the in-country process on a blog, we need your prayers more than ever now. This is a bigger adjustment than bringing home a brand new baby I feel. We have attachment issues to think about, orphanage behaviors to overcome, food/drink issues, etc...things that come naturally or are a non-issue for a newborn. But the good news is that he slept through the night last night! I could never say that about a newborn home just one day. LOL

I will go back at some point and recap our last couple of days in the capital city doing "embassy" stuff as they may be a few things future RR families may learn (like we actually don't go to the "embassy" it's actually the Consulate's office - that's imp't to know esp when you have a taxi driver that doesn't have a clue and speaks enough English to be dangerous). But that's a story for a different day. :-)

Yesterday was a bit rough.  I mean you can hardly blame him...30+ hours of travel, a brand new house with 5 brand new kids he's never met before, a runny nose, a new crib, new food, new drinks, etc...he just wasn't himself. Today he's doing much better and we even got a few smiles today. It will take a while. And that's ok and perfectly normal. Plus, I have a new outlook after 7+ straight hours of sleep last night. Sleep helps everything!

He spread his bib out on the table in anticipation of getting his food. Oh, my son, you don't have to do that here or ever again!


This captures a good portion of our day...Rachel crying about something he did to her. She is wondering when this new little person is going home!

Fun with the push-truck


Today, he was much more into exploring and playing. He's mommy's little helper!

Kiss from Mama!

All of the kids (esp Anna - shown here - and Sarah) are really enjoying spending time with him. He even cuddled with Anna and Sarah yesterday. He actually colored for a bit today. Something he never did while we were visiting him in the orphanage.
 
Ah, a familiar toy. Love that Leap!


5 comments:

Mel said...

YAY for Leap!! hehe Hang in there Jill, it REALLY does get better a little each day. Soon you will be looking back at a week, then a month, then a few months home and you'll wonder where the time went, and how life ever was without him. I can't wait to see him grow!! Praying for your family and smooth transitions!

Tom Lococo said...

Dear Jill and Family,

Such a blessing meeting you in Kyiv and sharing the first leg of the journey home. Agree the tough stuff is starting, but there are many blessings as well.

May God bless this next phase for each of us, and the families still waiting to bring their adoptive angels home now.

Janee said...

Hi Jill, I've been following your blog all along since your dossier prep days. We've been home for 6 weeks now with Vika and it's fun to read about Elijah's transition because it sounds very similar to what we've had here. I have a bio son who is three months younger than here and trust me, they were NOT big fans of each other at first! But after about 3 or 4 weeks they started warming up to each other and now they are best buddies. It's wonderful. So glad Elijah is home and I am looking forward to hearing how your next few weeks go. He is adorable!

Nan and Dan said...

so happy to see you at home!!! hugs!

annie said...

So wonderful to see pics of Elijah at HOME! He is simply adorable. What a blessing. Will be praying as you all adjust.

On another note, what a fantastic young crocheter you have in Sarah. I've purchased a few items from her blog (and now have Elijah's picture on my fridge). I'm so impressed with her handiwork, and (more importantly) her passion for raising money for orphans. She is doing Kingdom Work. Amen to that.

God bless.