Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A little boy on a bench...

(This post was inspired in part by "Lisa" who left a comment the other day. I'll put her comment at the end.)

These were the three photos we received of Elijah shortly before we committed to bring him home.  A little boy on a bench...an orphan...a child with no hope, even though he had biological parents who love him deeply, they couldn't care for him in their country.

This one was always my favorite one. Funny thing is now that I know him, it really doesn't even look like him (in my opinion).
 
This actually the one that looks the most like him.

 
From July to December, I studied this photo obsessively trying to get a grasp on how big he is, how big "the bench" is, what size he wore, etc. I never came to any conclusions. I was surprised when we met him how big he actually was.
This summer/fall, I had these 3 photos on my computer screen saver, along with a summer favorite photo of each of the other kids. I was struck by the lack of color in these photos compared to the other 5 photos flashing through. It was pretty dramatic, but a pretty accurate representation of life in a colorless orphanage, or so I thought.

When we first walked into his grouppa area, Pat and I both immediately noticed "the bench". (The main entrance door is to the right of the bench in these photos.) I was surprised at how short it was. But after all, it is made for children, small children.  I was also very surprised to see a shelf above it that brings the wall to life, as well as a very colorful wall mural on the wall opposite the bench.

Pat on "the bench" - he barely fit!

And now that Elijah has come to LIFE! :-)

A few days before "Gotcha Day" on the bench...
But he knows he has a DADDY now! (Signing Daddy)


Goofy faces!

And yes, these are pajamas - with pink - for the daytime :-(


All dressed and ready to LEAVE on Gotcha Day!
(He's wearing a sweater vest knit by his first mother. He also has a cold which why he looks "sad". He wasn't!)

Yes, we are going to see Daddy! (in a few days) YAY!!!
He really missed Pat when he came home after court.

"Ok, mama...I'm ready to NEVER sit on this bench again!"
And he didn't! :-)
Here's what Lisa said the other day on the "Pictures" post: (I couldn't agree more!)

"What a precious angel for sure!!! I am haunted by his RR picture where he is sitting on the bench with the white tshirt and shorts...all alone and lonely. I am SO happy to replace that photo in my mind with these new pictures of him with his family, smiling, full of love and all safe, warm at home where he belongs."

Thanks Lisa!  We thank God for bringing this special little boy into our lives. We are the ones that are blessed!

5 comments:

liz kulp said...

hip hip hooray! God smiles:)

Mel said...

Jill... another "similarity"!! Timothy's RR photo(next to the blue wall) and seeing him IRL for the first time, he looked like a different child! Of course, to see that photo now, and the ones of him since he's been home... TOTALLY different!! YAY!!! God, love, and FAMILY makes all the difference in the world!! YAY!!!

Unknown said...

I whole-heartedly agree with Lisa. It is so nice to see the spirit and love in his eyes now that wasn't there in those older photos!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is such an inspiration!
My husband and I are hoping to start our own adoption journey soon!

Take care & God bless
Dara

Lisa (DanielsMommy) said...

Here I am with tears running down my face. Imagine my surprise when I came to look for an update. Thank you for posting those pictures. And I love the last one, that's right Elijah...you NEVER have to sit on that bench again.

And what a treasure to have a vest knitted by his first mother. I can only imagine her pain. As a biological mother to a son with Ds (Danny)...I can't even begin to imagine what is must be like for her. Praying she can now rest knowing he is with your amazing family and has a life full of opportunities.

You are all so very blessed. Thank you again for the pictures and for sharing your journey with us.