A little background first...last fall our church family and friends BLESSED us beyond measure by raising over $17,000 towards Elijah adoption costs. I still can't wrap my mind around it. Totally unbelievable. Needless to say, we didn't have to do anymore fundraising after that. We paid for the initial expenses out-of-pocket, but the benefit paid for all of the in-country costs and airfare with some left over.
When the Lord told us to "GO!" for Jonathan, we felt uncomfortable about asking for any help financially. We so blessed the first time and we didn't want to go back to the same "source" again - if that makes sense. (Pride too perhaps?) Plus, we can all be honest and think that the first adoption is a really neat thing, but a second one? A second child with Ds? Another child when we already have 6 and have "our hands full"? (If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that in the last month, we would have this adoption paid off in no time! :-)) Having my "hands full" already is something I
So, here we are. I have put a fundraising thermometer on the sidebar of where we are at with expenses. The funds raised so far include money we have paid out of checking/savings for initial expenses, leftover money from Elijah's adoption, regular tax returns, and gifts. (I was so thrilled to see our FSP amount jump up. Thank you to whoever donated it!!!) I will be posting very soon (hopefully tomorrow) about a very fun puzzle fundraiser we will be doing to help offset some of the remaining costs. Whatever is left, we will take out a loan. I was pretty adamant about not going into debt the first time around, but now, after having seen what I've seen in the orphanage, it doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore. ALL of these precious children NEED OUT OF THERE NOW.
One more thing to add....just because this is the second adoption, unfortunately, it won't be any cheaper. The few areas that we saved money (no federal fingerprints, homestudy) on will be quickly eaten up by paying for our medicals out-of-pocket since we just had them done last July, and then of course, higher summer airfare costs.
We thank you so much for your support, whether it be prayer support, moral support or financial support. It is all deeply appreciated!
1 comment:
I have no idea if I did it right but I just did 30.00 for all of China!!! Had to cover wherever Caleb might be there....lol
Post a Comment