Ds Fact: A newly released study by Children's Hospital Boston reveals how children feel about their siblings with Down Syndrome.
The second study evaluated responses to similar questions from 822 brothers and sisters age 9 and older
(estimated response rate, 19 percent).
Of the siblings age 12 and older:
• 94 percent expressed feelings of pride about their sibling
• 7 percent felt embarrassed by their sibling
• 4 percent would “trade their sibling in” for another
• 88 percent said they felt they were better people because of their sibling with Down syndrome
Of siblings aged 9-11:
• 97 percent said they loved their sibling
• 90 percent felt their friends are comfortable around their sibling
My daughter, Sarah, had this to say on her recent blog post: (Please click over there to see what Carrington's big sister had to say too.)
Most of the time I forget that my brothers have Down Syndrome! It doesn't define them, and no they'll never "get over it", but I love them just the way they are! And honestly, if I had the choice, after knowing them, I would never change the fact they had DS! No, of course I wouldn't want them to spend as much time in the orphanage with out a family as they did, but because of them, I am a much better person then I was before we adopted them! I don't avoid people with Ds like I used to, now I got up and talk to them. My brothers have changed me forever to the better, and I am soo very grateful!! ♥
Sadly, I believe one of the biggest reasons parents site for terminating a pregnancy of a baby with Ds is how it will affect their other children. As you can see, that is so NOT the case. Please help me get the word out! That is also the same reason some people give for not adopting too. It is also the same "objections" that were given to us when we announced our adoptions. It just isn't true. (I had a moment to sit down and do this post while the "middles" were out playing and the "littles" were napping. :-) I'll try and ask the "middles" what their thoughts are and get back to you.)
Ds Blog: http://cornishadoptionjourney.blogspot.com/ Meredith and Mike are AMAZING people and parents! Pat and I had the pleasure of meeting both of them in Kiev back in Dec and then I was able to meet up with Meredith again after Christmas when we both had our new kiddos with us. Mike and Meredith have adopted 5 children, 4 from Ukraine (2 of which were from Jonathan's orphanage) and one domestically. I love Meredith's blog as she often shares very helpful hints and tips on how she manages life with 6 special needs children and obviously a large family. I especially loved her post about the iPad apps she uses for her kids. Maybe one of these days I can put that to use. LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment