Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Making progress and a Ds fact not everyone talks about!

Ds Fact:  Babies and children (and adults too I assume) w/ Ds often suffer from constipation. According to http://www.ds-health.com/constip.htm "In children with Down syndrome, two factors exist to make constipation more likely: low muscle tone and decreased motor activity." Click on the link for more info (if you dare!) :-)   What to do about it?  This blog has LOTS of great, natural ideas. http://dsdaytoday.blogspot.com/2011/10/constipation-causes-and-cures.html

What have we done here? Eliminated bananas and most cheese from the boys' diets. We also supplement with "Trace Minerals" which has a lot of magnesium in it to help them keep things movin' along. There are days when they still struggle. I do hope to implement some of the ideas from that blog post though.

Ds Blog: http://www.nogreaterjoymom.com/  I think this is one of the first blogs I've posted of someone I don't "know" personally, but Adeye has adopted 4 girls, 2 of from Ukraine w/ Ds. Once you start reading her blog, you will be hooked! She has a tremendous gift for writing and taking photos of her little ones. But, the real reason I link to her today is the fact that she is offering a $500 Target gift card in a drawing if you donate to one of the families that is in urgent need of funds for their adoption. Please click HERE to find out more details. More importantly, if you can, find a family to encourage with a financial donation, and don't forget to pray for them. Thanks so much!

***************************************

The progress the boys are making continues to astound me. Just today, Elijah was finishing up his lunch as some of his older siblings were already outside playing. He signed correctly (and said parts of each word!) "Swing outside"!!!  Totally in context and totally correct. Whatta boy!!! Of course, I let him go for a bit before nap time. :-) Also, the other day, I saw him running. That may sound funny, but he has never really "run" before. It is usually a very determined walk that is as cute as can be. But, the other day he was lifting his feet and bending his knees. Go Elijah!

"Baby J" is making lots of progress too!  He has started doing a combination of inch worm/army crawl to move himself across the floor and is transitioning from sitting to lying on his tummy intentionally (although as I was typing this, he toppled over :-)). He has started to hold his bottle a bit. And the best thing...he is tolerating a bit more texture in his food!!! Yay!!! The first few months, if he had anything except the stage 2 baby food purees, he would spit it out, sometimes all over the person feeding him. He rarely does that now. SO happy about that! Hopefully he will begin to tolerate homemade baby food soon too 'cuz organic baby food ain't cheap. :-)

So, there you have it. A little update on the boys! I'm SO proud of them and SO proud to be their Mama!

No comments: