Thursday, October 6, 2011

Skipped school today!

Ds Fact: The history of Down syndrome from HERE:  In 1959 Professor Jerome Lejeune, a geneticist in Paris, discovered that Down Syndrome occurred as a result of a trisomy of chromosome 21. This means that instead of the usual 46 chromosomes in the cells of the body, there is an extra chromosome 21, making 47 chromosomes in all. Since then, other forms of the condition, which are much rarer, have been discovered, such as Translocation and Mosaicism. However, it was not until 1866 that the English doctor, John Langdon Down, first described the condition, which subsequently took his name.


So, Down syndrome is named after John Langdon Down.  The correct term is "Down syndrome", not "Down's syndrome", or "Downs". I remember reading somewhere that the syndrome is not to be capitalized. Really, that doesn't matter to me, but that's why I use "Ds" instead of "DS". For any of you on forums, you know that "DS" usually represents "Dear Son", not Down syndrome. :-)


Ds Blog:  http://lifeandtimesofalayna.blogspot.com/  Pat and I met Jason and Rochelle in Kiev when we arrived for Jonathan's adoption. We hit it off right away.  Jason is from the UK and Pat has spent well over a year of his life in UK for work, so he enjoyed his accent, as did I. :-) Rochelle has become a great friend to me and it was fun to meet up again at the end our journeys as when we both had our new children with us. It was a true blessing to be able to meet Dariya on her Gotcha Day no less. We hope to meet up with them again sometime and meet their other two children!

Rochelle has a great post about the history of Ds HERE. Much more fun than mine above. LOL

******************************************

It was a BEAUTIFUL AND WARM day here! High in the low 80's is usually unheard of here this time of year. So, I decided it was time to play hooky from school have a field trip! We went to the "Little Farmer". Love that place! It's an apple orchard and pumpkin patch, but it also catered for the kids too. We had a GREAT day!!!

Traditional photo opp

Picnic lunch

J hangin' out while we ate

Elijah didn't like the straw bales...can't blame him...a bit too much texture for him.

Anna and Rachel at the top!

Rebekah the sunflower


Sarah is such a HUGE help to me!

Jonathan didn't like the swing AT ALL!
It was a deep swing, so he couldn't have fallen out, but I'm sure he didn't like the freedom of movement.  Very scary for him. :-(


Tractor swings made from tractor tires

Ended the day with caramel apples! YUM!!
Elijah didn't like the texture of the caramel and sprinkles.
Rachel just picked at the caramel.
I was very sad to have extra for me. :-)

The other kids loved theirs!



I LOVE FALL!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey was that in the school year schedule to have the field trip or was it truly a hooky day. Maybe the principal should have played hooky too and come along as well to make sure everyone had fun.

rachellee said...

Love the pictures! What a lovely day! Thanks for sharing!

Rochelle said...

Ah friend, you are so sweet! I SO wish we lived closer! I can't believe how much J has filled out. He is getting that toddler look already!
Love the family outing day! Fabulous!!!

Rebekah said...

I know just where you sat and ate your caramel apples! Wish we coulda made it with you...one week later and BRRR! It's definitely fall outside. I love Fall TOO!