Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Single Palmar Crease

Ds Tidbit: Some individuals with Down syndrome have a "single transverse palmar crease". What that means is the two creases in the palm that most of have are fused into one crease. 

I remember Michelle posting about this during her adoption of Lilya, so it was one of the first things I checked on Elijah during one of our first visits. Funny thing is, I only checked one hand - his left. After being home for three weeks, I was wiping his hands after supper and noticed he had a single palmar crease on his right hand! I thought it was pretty cool! :-) I have no idea if it is "typical" for individuals w/ Ds to have it on one hand or both. I'd love to hear from some of you "Ds mamas" out there...do your children have it one hand, both hands, or neither? (Jonathan doesn't have the single crease on either hand, although the two creases are very close together.)

Just in case anyone is wondering, there is absolutely no health issues associated with this. :-) Just one of those fun Ds things!

Elijah's right hand

Both together
 Ds Blog: http://rachelsorphanblog.blogspot.com/  Rachel is Sarah's best friend and is currently over in EE with Jake and Ashley!!! She is loving it!!! She has a HUGE heart for special needs orphans as you can see from her blog background and advocates heavily for them. I'm loving following her version of the trip. She loves the Milka chocolate just like I do! :-)

OH, and I forgot to add that Jake and Ashley passed court on Monday and are now officially parents of Carter Benjamin!!!! Congratulations to the Gibson family!!!

4 comments:

momto10kids said...

Here's the run-down on the palm crease for our 5 who have Ds:

Justin and Sarah have two creases on each hand.
Matthew and Michael have one crease on their left hand and two creases on their right hand. Sydney has the single crease on both hands.

Interestingly, about 5% of the non-Ds population also have at least one single palm crease.

People with Ds also have a higher incidence of having only one crease on the palm side of their pinky finger. Here is what our crew has for that:

All but Matthew have two creases on each pinky finger. Matthew has only one crease on each of his pinky fingers.

Grace said...

I was actually kind of bummed to find out that Noah doesn't have the single crease on either hand.

Jaclyn M said...

I just love learning so much about DS this month!!! Love it!! I had never paid much attention to our hand creases.... until now of course :)

Lisa (DanielsMommy) said...

I remember when I was in the hospital after Danny was born. I had a c section so it took me a bit of time to be able to walk to the nursery (he needed just a bit of 02 for a few hours). Anyway, I was still in shock about the diagnosis because when I looked at him, I couldn't tell. I wondered what it was about him that the doctors saw that I didn't. The first thing the nurse did was turn his little palm over to show me the single line. She asked me to turn my palm over....I had 2 lines, he had 1. I remember thinking...'that's it, that is all Ds is". I kind of laugh about it today, because the single crease really doesn't do anything...but it's one of my very first memories as I started out on our journey of raising a child with Ds.