Wow...I made it 3 days in a row. Amazing! :-)
Ds Fact: The most common type of Down syndrome is Trisomy 21. (There are 3 types.) It accounts for about 95% cases of Ds. Trisomy 21 means a 3rd copy of the 21st chromosome is present. I have 46 chromosomes, 23 pairs. People with Ds have 47 chromosomes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_origins_of_Down_syndrome if you would like to read about translocation Ds and Mosaic Ds.
Blog about Ds: http://www.zoromski.blogspot.com/ I've known Michelle since at least 2005 I think - long before I really even knew what a blog was. After Ruby and Lydia were born w/ Ds in 2007, she started a blog chronicling their journey. She posted TODAY about her story where she now has 3 daughters with Ds. Go ahead and read it. I'll wait. :-) Little did Michelle or I know at the time, but she was educating me about Down syndrome - taking the "fear" away. Much of what I learned about Ds came through her 31 for 21 blogging challenges over the years.
I very strongly believe that Elijah and Jonathan would not be here right now if it weren't for Michelle's blogging. I'm forever deeply grateful for her dedication to sharing about her life, Ruby's life, and now Lilya's life. See, she educated me about Ds, and then opened my eyes to the plight of orphans in EE that have Ds. NEVER EVER did I picture myself adopting a child with Ds. Never. Until one night I was looking at the RR site and God....God said "Go." And we obeyed. God gets ALL of the glory for that. He worked it out through His perfect timing. HE IS AMAZING! If you want the really long version of that story, you can read part 1 HERE and part 2 HERE. Wow, what a trip down memory lane rereading those posts. Seems like an eternity ago, but really only just over a year.
***********************************
Our local Ds Awareness Walk was this past Saturday. Photos coming soon. Here's the link to the news coverage of the event.
No comments:
Post a Comment