Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month!

Can you believe that over 170 bloggers have committed to blogging about Down syndrome every day this month??? That is awesome!  If you would like to read some of these blogs, click here for the list. I have decided that this isn't the time for me to attempt blogging daily about Ds. Next year I will try though! :-) (I'll have a little more experience by then!) But I do plan to post a few things about Down syndrome throughout the month. I believe it was through this daily blogging that Michelle did over the past several Octobers that my eyes were opened, my heart was softened and my mind was educated about Down syndrome (in addition to her "regular" blogging about life and a soapbox or two :-)). Thanks Michelle!!!

I've seen lots of great posts already, so maybe I'll just post some links.  The first link I want to post about is not a personal blog though. It is about a website I just found out about today. It is only 4 days old and has received 3000 hits from all over the US and 49 countries! Amazing!  It is http://www.downsyndromepregnancy.org/. Pretty self-explanatory. The site offers a free e-book download for mothers that have decided to continue their pregnancy after receiving a pre-natal diagnosis of Down syndrome for their unborn child.

The site explains their audience this way:

The audience for this website and book are expectant parents who are moving forward with a pregnancy after learning about a prenatal Down syndrome diagnosis. The material is not appropriate for women who are still weighing options about their pregnancy.


The audience may also include medical professionals, Down syndrome organizations who are providing support to expectant parents, and the family and friends of expectant parents.

It sounds like a great resource for mothers! Although I haven't read the e-book, what a wonderful thing to have, especially to share with family and friends, who may or may not be supportive of the decision to "keep" the child...Hopefully, you can tuck this little tidbit about this website in the back of your mind in case you or someone else you know needs it someday.
 
(Soapbox warning here) But all these terms...continue their pregnancy, options about their pregnancy, keep the child...they seem to be a politically correct terms for aborting the baby or not. Did you know that the US "termination" (shall we just say "murder"?) rate for a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome is 90%????  We can talk about how horrible it is that parents in Eastern Europe abandon their babies at the hospital if they have Down syndrome. And yes it is. But are we really that much "better off'" here in our country? I think not. God help us.


No comments: