Friday, December 17, 2010

Days of Elijah Day 16

"Regrettably, this orphanage is one of the poorer ones, with very little outside aid and very little hope.    All of the children are tiny and undernourished.  These children are immediately transferred at 4, and have little chance of survival where they are sent.  All of our waiting children need families, but these have a critical need.  Please consider one of these children soon!!"
 
This little blurb was on Elijah's profile when we commited to bring him home and make him a permanent member of our family. This little blurb is also on the profile of almost every other child listed on Reece's Rainbow from this same orphange. It breaks my heart.  I have seen plenty of "typical" children here outside playing, as well as going in and out of the grouppa that is just beyond the waiting room where we are sent to play sometimes. Although I don't know how old they are, none of them seems severely undernourished. HOWEVER, I know there are children that I DON'T see and probably won't while I here. These children ARE severely undernourished and TINY. I have seen photos of a very special little one that was brought home this summer and is doing very well, although he still has a long ways to go.
 
Now, Elijah...I've mentioned he is 20 pounds. He is 32" tall (roughly measured while he wouldn't stand still). (For those of you that know our sweet baby, Rachel, he is about 3-4 inches taller than her, but just a pound or two heavier and she is very petite.) He was 3 in September. I'm not sure where that puts him on the Ds growth chart. We'll find out when we get home. I have yet to see any of this boy's skin except his head and hands. What I do know is that my hand can just about fit around his calf. Some of you have asked his size, and most of his clothes say 18 mo on the tag - if there is one. Some of them are too short through the crotch, esp with his gooshy diaper. I brought 18 mo overall bibs for him to wear home and I think they will be perfect. Anything with a waistband will be around his ankles.
 
Anyway, I do have a point to all this rambling. Today after my morning visit, I asked if I could stay and see and learn how he eats. Miss "in charge" nanny wasn't there, and the only one that does speak decent English was, so I took the opportunity. They were happy to oblige.  Here's the little man eating and drinking all by himself.
 

While this great he can feed himself, take a look at the size of the spoon! I know when I'm served soup/borscht in a restaurant here, I get a huge spoon too, so I know it is a culture thing. But, as a mom it was heartbreaking to watch him try and eat soup off of the side of it. While he did the best he could, much of it fell off down his face and back into his bowl. It was heartbreaking to think that he's eaten this way - three times a day - for who knows how long. :-( It was all I could do to keep from crying. There was other stuff going on too, but I'll need to wait until I get home to blog about that...sorry, that's all I can say now.
 
And in case you didn't notice his "placemat" above, you can see it here much better. :-) He's drinking something warm here. I imagine it was tea or something, as it had specks of stuff laying in the bottom of the cup. He did well with this too, and didn't spill too much.

Frankly, I was surprised at the amount of food he was given. He had a big bowl of soup and decent size plate with mush on it. I thought there was no way he was going to eat all of it. I don't think the majority of my kids at home would eat that much for lunch. But he did! At first I was thinking how could these kids be so tiny and undernourished if they are eating so much. Then it dawned on me. It is WHAT they are eating, or rather what they are NOT eating. The soup was noodles, chunks of bread, a few carrots and some other mystery filler. No meat.  The mush was potatoes and ?. Not sure. No meat.  No milk. In other words, mostly carbs and filler (the tea) and no protein. Ah ha! That's it. I get it now. Protein is expensive, or more expensive than potatoes anyway. So, anyway...have I mentioned that I can't wait to get him home? Well, if I haven't...I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HIM HOME! :-)  For many, many reasons of course, but nutrition is pretty close to the top of the list.
 
Other than that, we had a nice visit this morning.  I stopped at the grocery store on the way home, as I rather shop now instead of when it's dark, but the store is VERY crowded at lunchtime. So, it's just about time to leave again. It was very nice at lunch time. +14 deg C on the bank thermometer. (If you don't know to convert to F, just times it by 2, add 32 and subtract just a bit. :-) That's my way anyway. My mathematical husband can do it the proper way - temp times 9/5 and add 32. My way is much easier!) All that to say it is WARM! I hope they will let me take him out in the stroller this afternoon for a bit. We haven't been outside since last week Thursday I think. Ok, gotta run! Love you all and thanks for reading and praying! Auntie Deb and Max will be here in 44 hours...not that I'm counting or anything. Please pray for a safe and uneventful trip for her and NO lost luggage! Thanks!

6 comments:

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

Elijah is sitting on the bottom of the DS chart for weight. He's pretty tiny!

I hear you about the quantity of food. I could not believe how much food Zhen would get at lunch! The quality though...mostly starch and broth. The drink is tea. Have you tried it? I was served tea a couple of times. The floaty stuff...well, let's not talk about that!

Mel said...

Ugh... this is why I am having such a tough time getting Timothy to eat meat/protien too. He'll eat cheeses, and sometimes scrambled eggs, but real meat just ain't happening. :(

Mama said...

I guess I am lucky that Vladan eats whatever I give him. But if I try to give him a smaller spoon, he doesn't know what to do with it. He can't seem to get anything into his mouth unless I give him a tablespoon although he is learning how to use a fork.

Nan and Dan said...

gerri's groupa was the same!! It took quite a while for her to eat any meat or anything with real texture. hugs!

Rebekah said...

How precious is he?? I showed Andy with tears in my eyes last night. He reminds me so much of Ethan, I can hardly stand it. I cannot wait to meet this little guy.

Julie said...

Dasha eats. A lot. I don't know if she is just that hungry, or things taste good, or she knows we'll give her seconds. She eats meat, veggies, fruit, oatmeal. No yogurt which is interesting since they said she ate that there. But everything has to be super warm, almost hot. Even her milk. We're slowly cooling it down, but she does notice! I'm sure Elijah will eat so much better at home!