I'm moving through my lists today and just sat down for a few minutes and saw a link to this web site about Down syndrome myths and facts. The article is well written and may help alleviate some fears on your part if you are concerned about what we are doing. :-)
It also occurred to me sometime back that some of my readers may not know exactly what Down syndrome is. To be honest, I'm not sure I could have defined it well myself until a few years ago. (Sadly, it was with my OB telling me about the "risks" of "advanced maternal age". I won't go there right now...) Anyway, below is a good definition from the Signing Times brochure about "Using Signing Times with Children who have Down syndrome" - something we intend to do with Elijah.
About Trisomy 21/Down syndrome
Down syndrome is a genetic disorder caused by having an extra copy of chromosome 21. Down syndrome occurs in every one out of 733 births. Individuals with Down syndrome generally have some impairment of cognitive ability and physical growth, weak muscle tone, and a hallmark set of facial characteristics. Health concerns for individuals with Down syndrome include: a higher risk for congenital heart defects, gastro esophageal reflux disease, recurrent ear infections, obstructive sleep apnea, and thyroid dysfunctions. With the support of modern medicine and emerging interventions, most people with Down syndrome can lead long healthy lives.
I saw this super cute video on a blog of another adopting family similar to ours. They have 5 biological children and are adopting a 6th child that is blessed to have an extra chromosome. Enjoy! I'm going back to "nesting"!
1 comment:
Thanks for posting this great info and adorable video! I think it's important for these myths to be "busted" so people can see the truth about these little treasures!
Kayla
http://bebrandnew.blogspot.com
Post a Comment